Sunday, August 16, 2009

Introducing a new series

Mike had an idea for our blog that we're going to try out. Those of you who know us well know that we are HUGE fans and supporters of NPR (National Public Radio). On NPR they occasionally run a series of related stories (like Climate Connections or Planet Money) that focus on one particular issue. Mike's idea is that we can run our own occasional series on our blog, on topics that we care about.

Soooo, my series will consist of very brief reviews of books that I read. I'm a big reader -- you can see my list of everything I've read since July 2007. I need a good name for this series, so if you have suggestions please comment. I consider it an extension of my professional work as a librarian to offer reader's advisory in this forum. ;) The first review follows.

You or Someone Like You by Chandler Burr.
The protagonist of this novel, Anne Rosenbaum, accidentally becomes the leader of a prestigious and exclusive book club in Los Angeles for people "in the industry" (she ends up with multiple book groups: one for producers, one for writers, one for directors, etc.). I thought the book would be fluffy fun: literary snark featuring Hollywood stars. I was surprised when the book took a more serious turn, but enjoyed it all the more for that unexpected element. Recommended for anyone who will simultaneously enjoy hundreds of literary references and discussions (this is about a very serious book group, after all), allusions to famous Hollywood folks, and also some tender family and identity issues (including religious and sexual identity).

No comments: