We had a wonderful trip to Idaho to visit the Bowles family over Christmas. We had some great quality time with the brothers and sisters-in-law (we love you guys!), and of course with Mom and Dad, too. Mom and Mike and I went snowshoeing on Christmas day, up in Strawberry Canyon, and it was just gorgeous. Of course we also played lots of board games and card games during the week of vacation. The new ones were Bananagrams and Scrabble Slam -- both very fun in my opinion, because I'm good at word games -- and the old ones were Rummikub, Salad, and Outburst. Good times! (Except for when I lost at Salad by about 400 points and had a tizzy fit. New Year's resolution: be a better sport)
We have a tradition in the Bowles family of having our grandparents over on Christmas Eve for dinner and a program of Christmas music. Rob and Sarah sang a beautiful arrangement of "Away in a Manger," Justin and Annie played some piano duets (congratulations to Annie, who taught Justin to play), and Mike and I prepared a Music & the Spoken Word arrangement of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day." There were other musical performances as well, including the traditional performance of "Sleigh Ride" as a piano duet by Mom and me. Here are a few select photos from the evening:
Grandma Hansen, Grandma & Grandpa Bowles, Dad playing his traditional role of running the video camera
Justin & Anna Lee, "Silent Night"
Mike doing the spoken word portion of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day" (Mike really can sing, but it's not really something he's comfortable doing for an audience. Thus the spoken word.)
Dad and Mom serving the cheesecake on Christmas EveWe also opened a few presents on Christmas eve, which included these awesome aprons made by Mom. In case you can't see, they're all university-themed. Justin and Annie have "Vandals" aprons, Rob and Sarah have "Aggies," and Mike and I have "Cowboys." So cute!

Mom and Dad hosted the big Hansen family party this year on December 27th. The extended family keeps on growing exponentially. There were about 50 people at the party this year, all fed and entertained in the Bowles home. It was quite a feat, and I had a great time seeing all my cousins.
In addition to spending time with family, we went to a gathering of some of my high school friends. I was on the Academic Decathlon team in 1999-2000 and our little team defeated all the other schools in Idaho (some much larger than ours) and we went to the National Academic Decathlon competition in San Antonio, Texas. It was a great experience and an awesome team, and a few of us from the team were able to gather at our coach's home before Christmas to catch up. It was great to see everyone, reminisce about our "glory days," and catch up on what's happened in the last 10 years.
Other fun activities over Christmas break: catching up with old friends at Mom and Dad's church, talking to my brother Nick (a Mormon missionary in Seattle) on Christmas day, seeing True Grit with the whole family (I liked it a lot -- even more than I expected to), going to the Logan temple with some members of the family, lunch at Cafe Sabor (yums!), more snowshoeing near Maple Creek after a big snowstorm.
The snowstorm hit on Wednesday, when we had planned to leave for Laramie. We stayed at
Mom and Dad's that night, and Mike ended up on a tractor moving snow around on the dairy.
We thought we had a window to get back to Laramie on Thursday, but we ended up getting stuck at Little America when I-80 was closed for about 100 miles between Rock Springs and Rawlins. We were glad to get back to Laramie the next day and ring in the New Year with friends.P.S. I also read all three Hunger Games books during Christmas break (over the course of 4 days). The series was a fascinating look at the nature of televised war, a voyeuristic society, governmental control, and it's a great coming-of-age story to boot. Highly recommended, especially for anyone interested in dystopian YA lit.

No comments:
Post a Comment