Thursday, January 10, 2013

2012: Year in Reading

My reading goal for 2012 was 80 books and I barely made it (you may even consider me a cheater, because in December I counted several children's books that Mike and I read together). I keep track of my reading on Goodreads, and for the coming year (2013) I've cut my goal in half. Let's see if, given my new role as a mom, I can manage approximately 3 books per month.

Here's the final list for 2012, with favorites in bold.


January 2012
Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Blood, Bones & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton (book group)
I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson
I Am Half Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley
Caleb’s Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
The Book of Mormon Girl: Stories from an American Faith by Joanna Brooks
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout

February 2012
Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close
The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston
Born to Run by Christopher McDougall (book group)
Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (book group)
Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O’Nan
The Good Body by Eve Ensler

March 2012
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
The New Republic by Lionel Shriver
Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller (book group)

April 2012
Hello, Stranger by Virginia Swift
The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (book group)
The Likeness by Tana French
Emily, Alone by Stewart O’Nan
The Truth about Forever by Sarah Dessen

May 2012
Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle by the Countess of Carnarvon
The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family by Mary S. Lovell
Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith
Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

June 2012
Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Let’s Pretend this Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (book group)
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain (book group)
Faithful Place by Tana French
Get Me Out: A History of Childbirth from the Garden of Eden to the Sperm Bank by Randi Hutter Epstein
Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park
Taft 2012 by Jason Heller
The Time Traveling Fashionista by Bianca Turetsky

July 2012
Untold Story by Monica Ali
Look at Me by Jennifer Egan
Limbo: Blue-Collar Roots, White Collar-Dreams by Alfred Lubrano
Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History by Florence Williams (book group)
Moo by Jane Smiley
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (book group)
Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness
Tell the Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

August 2012
Broken Harbor by Tana French (book group)
The Sleepy Hollow Family Almanac by Kris D’Agostino
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks (book group)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

September 2012
At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson
The Honest Truth about Dishonesty: How we lie to everyone -- especially ourselves by Dan Ariely (book group)

October 2012
The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (book group)
Messy by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Wicked Girls by Stephanie Hemphill (book group)
Mormon Diaries by Sophia L. Stone
Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs
Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

November 2012
Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon (book group)
Why Girls are Weird by Pamela Ribon
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton 

December 2012
Red Ranger Came Calling by Berkeley Breathed
Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck
We the Animals by Justin Torres
The Mitten by Jan Brett
The Wild Christmas Reindeer by Jan Brett
Trouble with Trolls by Jan Brett
The Hat by Jan Brett
Christmas Trolls by Jan Brett
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
Wildwood by Colin Meloy
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Why Moms are Weird by Pamela Ribon
The Privileges by Jonathan Dee

No comments: