Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Ireland

Limerick
Celebrating at Nancy Blake's pub after a successful workshop
Limerick is not that big of a city, but somehow Cass and I managed to get lost over and over again. Even with plenty of landmarks like this church.
This Pop-Up Museum used a historic Georgian building to illustrate a slice of Limerick's history through the building itself. It was an interesting concept, one that we thought would work really well in our own towns, with their wild West history and buildings. 
Hunt Museum
Celtic Cross at St. Mary's Cathedral
St. Mary's Cathedral, built 1168
King John's Castle (the King John of Robin Hood)
Tea break in Killarney

We took a day-long bus tour of the Ring of Kerry. It was beautiful.


Thatched roof!

Remember that movie, Far and Away, with Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise? It was filmed here!
County Kerry

The photos above are from a trip I took in August, to my first international library conference: the IFLA Information Literacy Satellite meeting, in Limerick, Ireland. A colleague from University of Wyoming, Cass Kvenild, and I gave a workshop on Classroom Assessment Techniques for Librarians. The conference itself was great. I especially enjoyed keynotes from Nancy Fried Foster of Ithaka S+R and Conor Galvin of University College Dublin. I was very interested to hear from other librarian presenters about library initiatives and higher education issues from an international perspective. The best part of the conference was chatting with and learning from librarians from all over. (And the food. The food was really good -- at more than one meal I had both mashed and roasted potatoes on my plate at the same time. Delicious.)

No comments: